We are looking for a reliable, conscientious person to work as a Marine Mammal Monitor on the Portage Cove Harbor Expansion project in Haines. Punctuality and integrity are paramount, as is the disposition to professionally represent proHNS and our clients at all times.
Marine Mammal Monitor tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Determine the best observation site based on where the contractor’s work will occur that day.
- Remain vigilant and alert for long periods of time.
- Document all in-water construction activities, marine mammals observed, and other required information.
- Coordinate with the Lead Marine Mammal Monitor on scheduling and submission of reports.
- Capable of working one six-hour shift per day between 6:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. seven days per week.
- Able to climb in and out of small boats, and onto barges from small boats.
- Capable of accurately identifying humpback whales and Steller sea lions.
- Comfortable shutting down construction if a humpback whale or Steller sea lion is observed inside the observation zone.
- Comfortable identifying and estimating distance to marine mammals via binoculars and range finder.
Location: Haines, AK
Salary: $20/hour starting
Job Type: Seasonal, 24-40 hours per week
Submit cover letter, resume, and three references to: