Located northwest of downtown Juneau, the Hank Harmon Public Range (HHPR) is a no-cost community facility owned by the CBJ Parks and Recreation Department and managed by the volunteer HHPR Board. The HHPR hosts two shooting ranges including the 100-yard short range and the 450-yard long range. In 2022, proHNS worked with the CBJ to complete preliminary design, cost estimating, and an ADF&G Pittman-Roberston Hunter Access Grant application. CBJ was awarded a grant of nearly 1 million dollars that will be used for the design and construction of facility upgrades.
Originally built in the early 1960s, project improvements to the HHPR address the entire facility’s infrastructure to enhance the safety and accessibility for its users. Main upgrades include:
- Replacing deteriorated barrier walls
- Delineating and signing the range boundary
- Regrading down-range facilities to improve drainage
- Upgrading aging shooting shelters
- Installing a new safety control system
- Providing designated ADA parking and access facilities
- Improving and expanding onsite parking
These improvements, designed and constructed to National Rifle Association Standards, will ensure all Juneau-area hunters, outdoorsmen, and recreational shooters have year-round access to this free facility.